Judge Building, Suite 740    |    8 East Broadway    |    Salt Lake City, Utah 84111Contact Us   Maps & Directions

I am a Victim of Domestic Abuse. What Should I Do?

Physical and sexual violence represents only one aspect of domestic abuse. Many victims may not immediately recognize domestic abuse because it encompasses emotional, economic and psychological abuse – all with the intent to gain control in a personal relationship. Even if you do not suffer physical signs of abuse, you need to seek help right away. A compassionate Utah family law attorney can help you get the immediate help you need.

Whether you currently suffer domestic abuse, or if you believe that your current situation may lead to domestic abuse in the future, the Utah Domestic Violence Council website provides extensive information to help keep you safe. But you need to use caution when accessing this type of information online. Since abusers commonly monitor the cyber activity of their victims, use the computer of a trusted friend or your local library to avoid escalating the violence at home.

The most important thing you can do is to remove yourself and your children from danger by relocating to a safe place. A call to the statewide domestic violence LINKLine at 1-800-897-LINK can provide the support you need. But in an emergency situation, call 911. And for a full range of support, such as obtaining immediate protection orders and taking other legal action, a family lawyer in Utah can provide the help you need.

If you need compassionate support for a domestic violence issue, the attorneys of Hanks & Peterson, P.C. are here to help. We apply tenacity, judgment and high ethical standards to every area of our practice, and our firm offers an effective alternative to impersonal and expensive big firms.

Client Testimonial

Working with the Hanks and Peterson firm was very satisfying. We were able to get good works accomplished. I was very happy with the final result. - A.G.

Quick Contact Form

To help you get started, please fill out the form below and click submit - or if you prefer, you can call our office at: